Seven Ways You Can Help Fort Collins in 2021
The year 2020 has brought many people many issues. Topping the list, of course, is the virus that killed thousands, infected millions, and affected the lives of nearly every American. As we move the clock forward and look ahead to the new year, it is a great time to view how we can help our community. Fort Collins has always been here for us; now is a great time to give back and support our beloved community. There are different ways we can accomplish this.
- You might consider becoming a “Virtual Volunteer.” If you have a heavy work schedule or if you have other reasons you would like to help from home, the door is wide open. Many businesses in Fort Collins will welcome you. For example, you might volunteer with a non-profit to help write a monthly newsletter. Another idea is that you offer to edit a local business video to help them promote their company. Just put on your thinking cap, evaluate your strong abilities, and offer your assistance.
- Fort Collins has many opportunities for you to become a mentor. You might check with a local school in your area and be assigned a child who needs just a little extra love and care to move up the ladder in his/her classroom. If you enjoy helping older people, you might visit a senior citizen community and find an elder who has no family and who could benefit from your attention. Invite the person to go out for a meal once in a while. Welcome the person to your home on special occasions. The possibilities are endless.
- If you enjoy working with youth, why not contact the Big Brother Big Sisters of Colorado, Inc. to volunteer your time. They have many children and youth in Fort Collins who need your attentiveness. Many of these young people live in a one-parent home, so your attention will not only brighten their life but also help them in many ways. Most of them improve in their classroom, while others improve with their behavior. All these youth needs is a little extra attention – and you can provide that for them.
- The residents of Fort Collins will love you if you organize a “Clean-Up Day.” You will need to plan a date, find a cause, and manage the volunteers. Although it sounds like a lot of work (which it is, but it’s well worth it), you can have several of the volunteers assist you in this project. You might find a park where you can clean up the debris or find a business that needs a storage room cleaned; you might find a school that requires the exterior painted. No matter what, there is always something that needs to be done in our community, and you can be the leader.
- If you have a group of friends who want to create a joint effort to help our community, why not organize a food or clothing drive. There are so many families in need. It can be offered at any time of the year. Food is always needed, and clothing is always so greatly appreciated. You will be surprised how many people in Fort Collins will join in volunteering to help in the drive, as well as donating food or clothing.
- You can include your entire family with a fun endeavor. It is quite simple. Find a large jar you have stored in your garage. Wash it, so it is clean and shines. Have a meeting with your family. Explain to them that everyone is going to contribute daily to fill that jar with coins. Each day, if several of you pitch in, the jar will be full in no time. Next, take your jar to a supermarket that offers a change machine to count your pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, and half-dollars (maybe even a dollar here and there). You will be shocked when you see the total and realize your hard work paid off. Now it is time to have another family meeting. This is the fun part, to determine to whom you want to donate the money.
- Find a niche that meets your interests. It should be one that will offer you pleasant rewards. For example, if you love dogs, a local dog shelter will welcome you with open arms. You might need to clean their pens, fill the water bowls, wash the pets, or various other projects. However, you will be greatly rewarded by the licking and kisses the animals provide you. If you enjoy working with special needs students, you might volunteer at one of the programs offering activities. You might be asked to feed a child, serve meals, play ball outdoors, be a dance partner, or a variety of other tasks. Whatever you enjoy doing, there is a need for you to fill.
At Rainbow Restaurant, we understand the significance of family, friends, and keeping everyone safe. Order a tasty, healthful take out today. Aside from serving delicious meals, it is our goal to support other local businesses. We are grateful to those who support us. In 2021, we hope that many of our friends in the community will put forth the effort to continue to make Fort Collins the great city it has always been.